The majority of homes in a contamination testing zone in Adelaide’s southern suburbs have been declared safe.
Residents in 31 Clovelly Park homes learnt in July they would be relocated after elevated levels of trichloroethylene (TCE) were found in their soil and air.
TCE, used as a metal cleaner in industrial settings, can be carcinogenic when people are exposed to high levels over an extended period.
Test results released on Wednesday show there was no TCE detected in 1352 of the 1400 properties assessed for contamination in Clovelly Park and neighbouring Mitchell Park.
But potentially dangerous contamination levels of 20 to 200 micrograms of TCE per cubic metre were found in three occupied properties.
Environment Minister Ian Hunter says the residents of those houses were already scheduled to be relocated in the next two weeks but will be given the option of leaving sooner.
“This assessment provides the clearest picture yet of the environmental conditions in the area and whether there is any health risk related to TCE exposure,” Mr Hunter said.
“It clears the vast majority of the assessment area from any health risk from TCE exposure.”
Six occupied properties would require further investigation, he said.
The opposition earlier this year called for Mr Hunter to resign after it emerged the government knew about contamination issues at Clovelly Park about six weeks before raising the issue with residents.