Construction on Brisbane's Queen's Wharf development will officially begin on Thursday, more than a year after the project started.
Demolition work on multiple buildings on the site began in late 2016, most notably the former state government Executive Building.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk is set to turn the sod on the project on Thursday afternoon, marking the official start of construction works, with the project to open its core resort development by 2022.
She’ll be joined by Tourism Minister Kate Jones, who said the $3 billion development will generate 2000 construction jobs and 8000 ongoing jobs when open.
“This project will cement Brisbane’s reputation as a global tourism hub for generations,” Ms Jones told state parliament.
At the heart of the precinct will be a six-star casino resort run by Star Entertainment group.
Ms Jones said Star and TAFE Queensland had already set up the Queensland Hotel and Hospitality School specifically to train six-star hospitality workers for the resort.