The new Green Star – Design & As Built rating tool, released yesterday by the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA), will create sustainable places for everyone.
“Green Star – Design & As Built represents the most significant advancement in sustainable design and construction since we launched Green Star in 2003,” says Chief Executive of the GBCA, Romilly Madew.
“Green Star has transformed design and construction practices in Australia and initiatives once considered leadingedge are now business-as-usual. The new Green Star – Design & As Built rating tool will challenge industry to evolve, innovate and improve.
“Unprecedented collaboration with industry has involved hundreds of experts providing their input into the rating tool’s credit criteria, benchmarks and documentation requirements to ensure we deliver a rating tool that will be truly transformational,” Ms Madew says.
New credits include:
- Adaptation and resilience: rewards buildings that are designed to be resilient in the face of a changing climate and extreme weather events.
- Life cycle impacts: encourages the holistic reduction of environmental impacts of building materials.
- Responsible building materials: recognises the use of building materials that have been sourced responsibly or have Chain of Custody certification.
- Sustainable products: rewards projects that specify building products that can demonstrate their sustainability credentials through environmental product declarations and third-party certification.
- Heat island effect: rewards projects that take steps to reduce their influence on the heat island effect in our cities.
- Sustainable transport: includes new pathways to demonstrate sustainable transport initiatives, including a Google Maps-powered calculator and encourages walking and cycling.
Green Star – Design & As Built assesses and certifies completed buildings of all types and sizes, with an optional Design Review providing an early opportunity for project teams to promote their Green Star commitment.
“We have been determined to deliver a rating tool that is simple and cost-effective, and Green Star – Design & As Built includes easy-to-use templates, streamlined documentation and flexible ways to demonstrate compliance.
“Green Star – Design & As Built will ensure Australia remains at the forefront of global green building practices, and will help us take another great stride forward as we move towards sustainable places for everyone,” Ms Madew