Building giant Grocon has been charged over a wall collapse that killed three pedestrians in Melbourne’s CBD.
A 15-metre-long section of the brick wall fell onto Swanston Street in March last year, killing teenage siblings Alexander and Bridget Jones, and Dr Marie-Faith Fiawoo from France.
A Grocon spokesman says Worksafe has filed five criminal charges against the company.
Another Melbourne firm, which put up an advertising sign on the wall, is facing two criminal charges.
Grocon boss Daniel Grollo says the company will wait until it receives details of the allegations before responding properly.
"We acknowledge the action taken by WorkSafe given the tragic consequences of last year's wall collapse and the broad obligations that apply under the Victorian Occupational Health & Safety Act," Mr Grollo said in a statement on Tuesday.
"We don't yet know the specific detail of what is being alleged against Grocon or the Melbourne signage company responsible for erecting the advertising sign on the wall, so we need to await further details and legal analysis before we can properly respond."
Mr Grollo said Grocon's priority remained to assist authorities as they examine what contributed to the wall collapse and identify what needs to be done to ensure it never happens again.
"Our thoughts and sympathies are with the families who so tragically lost their loved ones," he said.
An inquest into the fatal wall collapse has been set for June.