Melbourne’s Newest Hub Gets Green Light

By
Wednesday, October 9th, 2013
liked this article
Embed
Karabiner – 300 x 250 (expire August 31 2017)
advertisement
East Werribee link
FavoriteLoadingsave article

Plans to create a massive new commercial and residential hub in Melbourne’s south-west have been approved for construction as the government seeks to promote growth and employment in the region.

Plans to create a massive new commercial and residential hub in Melbourne’s south-west have been approved for construction as the government seeks to promote growth and employment in the region.

Earlier this week, state premier Denise Napthine announced the approval of the East Werribee Employment Precinct Structure Plan.

Set on the site of a former state research farm, the idea is to create a modern city over 775 acres of land featuring a new employment precinct, town centre, health and learning precinct, an enterprise and business precinct and around 7,100 new homes in a mixture of medium and high density housing.

This will be supported by new infrastructure, including a $40 million ‘full diamond’ freeway interchange with both Melbourne and Geelong ramps, $32 million worth of arterial road upgrades and a 60-hectare network of waterways and lakes.

The plan also involves new communities with local town centres, schools and sporting facilities at nearby Point Cook South West and Wattle Avenue.

Napthine says the new suburb, set to be called East Werribee, will create more than 58,000 employment opportunities in a precinct accessible to residents of Melbourne’s western suburbs with convenient commercial linkages between Melbourne and Geelong as well as Tullamarine and Avalon airports, whilst the new interchange would provide unprecedented access to the Princes Freeway as well as an additional entry point to growth suburbs such as Werribee and Point Cook.

“This precinct is the largest commercial precinct on government owned land in Victoria’s history, with the extra benefits of access to a major freeway and proximity to ports and two airports” Napthine says.

“It will create jobs across a range of industries and builds on the 2,000 existing jobs located at the site.”

Early works regarding transport for the precinct have started and the government is set to advertise tenders for the construction of the new interchange this week, with bids set to close in mid-2014.

Embed
FavoriteLoadingsave article

Comments

 characters available
*Please refer to our comment policy before submitting
Discussions