No flammable cladding has been removed from NSW buildings that may contain the combustible material, but the government says its response to the problem has been the most comprehensive in the nation.
More than 1000 buildings may contain flammable cladding similar to the product blamed for London’s Grenfell Tower Fire that killed at least 80 people in June.
But on Monday, during a budget estimates hearing, NSW Better Regulation Minister Matthew Kean confirmed none of it had been removed.
The properties were identified in early July, with the government announcing a safety package later that month.
The government said it would contact property owners as part of its safety plan.
But Greens MP David Shoebridge criticised the government for not enforcing removal of the material.
“Despite serious fire risks being identified, the government has done nothing, other than send some letters, to ensure that properties have this dangerous cladding removed,” Mr Shoebridge said in a statement.
However, Mr Kean accused Labor and the Greens of scaremongering, adding the NSW government’s response was the most comprehensive in Australia.
“Our fire safety plan is the most comprehensive package of reforms in the country, and our priority is to keep NSW residents as safe as possible in their homes,” Mr Kean said in a statement.