Luna Park is campaigning to restore its old planning arrangements after a poll revealed community distaste for a court ruling that wrapped it up in what the operator calls a "bureaucratic nightmare".
The NSW Land and Environment Court ruled in mid-July that the park couldn’t install a new ride, The Flying Circus, without a development approval.
The judgment means the amusement complex must submit a development application every time it replaces, moves or installs a new ride.
Local residents worried about noise also have a say as part of the approval process.
A Sydney poll conducted for the park by YouGov Galaxy showed 85 per cent of those surveyed think it’s important for the park to continue to operate viably.
A further 89 per cent supported the previous planning laws and 63 per cent thought the new rules are “unfair”.
The poll, released on Friday, follows an announcement last week that 5000 park visitors had signed a petition urging the NSW government to intervene.
Luna Park’s managing director Peter Hearne said the park “will be tied up in red tape constantly” under the new restrictions.
“We will need a new development application to bring in an inflatable jumping castle,” he said in a statement on Friday.
The ruling is expected to delay the park’s planned $20 million refurbishment announced in March 2017.
Luna Park, which opened its grinning doors in 1935, covers about three hectares on the north side of Sydney Harbour Bridge.