menu
x

Like

Comment

Embed

The Queensland government will wait until after an investigation into the death of two men at a construction site at Eagle Farm racecourse before deciding if they will introduce industrial manslaughter.

Ashley Morris, 34, and a 55-year-old colleague were killed instantly when a nine-tonne concrete slab fell on them in a pit at the track's infield last Thursday.

Police and Workplace, Health and Safety officers are investigating the accident.

Following the tragedy, the CFMEU called on the Labor government to introduce industrial manslaughter charges which would make organisations, directors and senior offices of organisations criminally liable for workplace fatalities.

Deputy Premier Jackie Trad said the investigation into the deaths must run its course.

"Anything in relation to law changes or policy should be considered after an investigation has taken place," Ms Trad said.

"I do understand that (industrial manslaughter) is something that has been pursued by industrial advocates in the past."

CFMEU work, health and safety co-ordinator Andrew Ramsay said last week that the current fine system doesn't go far enough.

"The union has been pushing for it for years ... we have pursued it with government after government," he said.

 
advertisement
ADVERTISE RSS TERMS & CONDITIONS SUBSCRIBE CONTRIBUTE CONTACT US