The Queensland government is reconsidering a massive residential project already approved by Brisbane City Council.
Deputy Premier and Planning Minister Jackie Trad has called for interested parties to make submissions about the Cedar Woods development in northwest Brisbane.
The project, consisting of 780 residential lots with the option of a further 200, was approved by the council in December.
The former LNP state government supported it, but new Education Minister Kate Jones promised during the election campaign to have the entire project in her Ashgrove electorate "called in".
Ms Trad, who is also the local government minister, says Cedar Woods needs to be reassessed as it could "affect economic and environmental state interests".
She also wants to make sure the plans are in accordance with a new Brisbane council planning scheme adopted last year.
"We made a commitment to listen to the community and this proposed call-in notice will provide an opportunity for all stakeholders to have their say," Ms Trad said.
The local Save The Gap campaign group is concerned the area's one major access road would be unable to handle extra cars and buses.
The Australian Koala Foundation says only 90 hectares of "tiny, tree-lined corridors" have been set aside for koalas, which wouldn't protect them from dog attacks or being run over by cars.
The closing date for submissions is March 30. The government will make a decision by April 29.