Nearly two million southeast Queensland households will have $50 knocked off their energy bills as they reap dividends from state-owned electricity generators.
Under the state government’s Affordable Energy Plan around 1.9 million Queenslanders will receive the $50 payment this year and next.
“We understand the cost of living pressures faced by all Queenslanders, especially our most vulnerable who will benefit the most,” Energy Minister Anthony Lynham said in a statement.
“We can return these dividends from these power business because their owners are the people of Queensland.”
The rebate will take effect on Monday, with eligible pensioners and seniors to also receive a $340 payment.
Additional rebates are available for regional households and businesses that are either existing or new Ergon customers and pay their bills via direct debit.
Liberal National Party leader Deb Frecklington labelled the $50 payment a slap in the face for families struggling to cope with rising household prices.
Dr Lynham was last week forced to deny the Labor government was pocketing more than a quarter of the average household power bill in profits from state-owned network charges.
Electricity sector consultant Hugh Grant revealed the profit margin on charges by Energex, Ergon and Powerlink averaged 47 per cent over the past three years.
Those charges make up the biggest slice of household power bills, and Mr Grant said more than $5 billion had gone to the Palaszczuk government during that time.
Dr Lynham insisted the dividends were reinvested into infrastructure and cost reduction measures like the pensioner concession and the rebate.