The federal government is sticking to an offer to fund half the cost of an upgrade to Queensland's M1 despite calls for a more generous split from the state government.
Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey, Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate and RACQ representatives on Wednesday met Turnbull government figures, arguing NSW received a better 80:20 funding split for the same road across the border.
Federal Minister for Urban Infrastructure Paul Fletcher said $215 million had been provided on a 50:50 basis in line with “similar commitments around Queensland and Australia”.
Mr Bailey said Mr Fletcher had ignored Queensland’s appeal for a fair share of federal cash for the state’s busiest highway.
“The M1 is a highway of national significance and is the highest trafficked road in Queensland with more than 147,000 vehicles battling congestion on it each day,” he said.
He cited a 2014 announcement by then-deputy prime minister Warren Truss that the M1 was part of a national land transport network that attracted an 80:20 funding split.
But Mr Fletcher said that media release had “no relevance” to the M1 because the motorway ran within “one of Australia’s largest metropolitan areas” from the Gold Coast, through Logan City and on to Brisbane, which included several bottlenecks.
Mr Bailey pledged to continue fighting for the cause and urged any motorist who had been stuck in traffic on the M1 to take it up with federal MPs.