menu
x

Like

Comment

Embed

Australia’s peak body for architects wants controversial plans to build a new fence around Parliament House put on hold and reviewed immediately.

The Australian Institute of Architects said the proposal, approved by both house of parliament earlier this month, would fundamentally change the character and symbolism of the building.

It has called for a proper consultation process despite security concerns, saying it is a matter of public interest.

"The institute is deeply concerned about the lack of consideration of the fence's impact on the heritage value and design of this most significant building," national president Professor Ken Maher said in a statement on Wednesday.

The plan failed to strike a balance between keeping people safe and allowing them access to the building and its grounds, he said.

"We have requested that further information be released and discussion entered into about less intrusive options to enhance the security of the building."

The group, which represents more than 12,000 architects, said any change must be well considered and consistent with the building's quality and durability.

"It is essential that on behalf of the Australian people, the fabric and intent of the design of Parliament House is protected now and into the future," Prof Maher said.

Hundreds of people rolled down the famous grassy slopes of Parliament House on Saturday for one last time before access to the lawns is blocked.

The fence, reportedly 2.6 metres high, is among a raft of security upgrades, including more CCTV cameras.

 
ADVERTISE RSS TERMS & CONDITIONS SUBSCRIBE CONTRIBUTE CONTACT US