SkyCity Entertainment Group has extended by nine months the deadline for completing construction of its controversial international convention centre from the original completion date of September 2017 to mid-2018.
In its latest annual report, the casino company said significant progress had been made on the design and planning of the $402 million convention centre in Auckland.
A preliminary design should be lodged with the Auckland Council before the end of the year as part of the resource consent process.
It's not yet known if the public will have the chance to make submissions on the plan.
"It has taken longer than we had hoped to get to this point and we now expect that the construction contract (which will activate the regulatory concessions) will, subject to a smooth resource consent process, be signed towards the end of the 2015 financial year," said chairman Chris Moller and chief executive Nigel Morrison in their review in the annual report.
The construction is expected to take three years, once consents are given.
SkyCity is paying for the centre's construction after agreeing to concessions from the government which include extending its Auckland casino licence to 2048 and adding 230 poker machines and 40 gaming tables.
The design concept SkyCity unveiled in August includes a multi-use theatre to accommodate 3,000 people for conventions and entertainment events.
With 85,000 square metres of floor area, the convention centre is thought to be the biggest building project in Auckland since the Sky Tower was built in 1997.
The company has also said it will add a $180m, 300-room international hotel, a pedestrian laneway running from Hobson to Nelson Street, and a convention centre carpark for up to 1,350 vehicles, up from the original 780.
Sky City said it would provide an update on the convention centre and the Adelaide Casino transformation at its annual meeting this Friday.