In most Australian jurisdictions, Victoria being a case in point, residential builders are required by law to carry home warranty cover for the construction of residences.

The Building Act 1993 proclaims the Ministerial orders that dictate the terms and contents of the “insurance policies” for the residential sector (insurance is in quotation marks because warranty cover is not typical insurance cover). Most insurance policies  provide insurance protection and indemnification to the person who pays for the insurance cover….