The rectification costs incurred by the owners of units in Melbourne's Lacrosse apartment complex which caught fire last year highlight the perils of installing subpar imported building products.

Residents of an apartment building in Melbourne which caught fire due to the installation of illegal exterior cladding are being forced to foot the bill for replacement of the subpar product. A blaze broke out in the Lacrosse apartment complex in Melbourne’s Docklands district in November last year, after a…