DIY Renovations Could Create New Wave of Asbestos Victims 1

By
Wednesday, September 9th, 2015
liked this article
Embed
Lovegrove Solicitors – 300 x 250
advertisement
Asbestos construction
FavoriteLoadingsave article

The increasing popularity of do-it-yourself (DIY) home renovations could create a new wave of victims of asbestos-related diseases including mesothelioma, asbestosis and lung cancer, experts warn.

In a recent media report, Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency managing director Peter Tighe was quoted as saying that an increasing number of home owners who attempt renovation work such as the demolition of kitchens and bathrooms themselves may not realise that asbestos could be hiding in unexpected places if their home was built prior to 2000.

Tighe says asbestos was present in some 3,000 building projects made between the period spanning end of the Second World War up until the late 1990s, and that increasing numbers of people involved in DIY-type projects were being impacted by mesothelioma – a rare form of cancer that develops in cells of the protective lining that covers many internal organs and is primarily caused by exposure to asbestos.

“This is a ticking time bomb,” Tighe is quoted as saying in the Australian Financial Review. “It’s like a snake that’s curled up and sitting under the sun. If you don’t go near it and treat it with respect, you’re not going to have a problem. If you go into its nest and disturb it, you’ve got a problem.”

Tighe’s comments follow last month’s release of a national framework for the management of asbestos around the country. The framework will see the material removed in priority areas, as well as the creation of a singular point of information on issues relating to the material and the development of model grading systems, frameworks and processes.

While earlier waves of those who suffered from asbestos-related diseases stemmed from workers involved in the mining and manufacturing of asbestos and subsequently those who installed building products which contained the material, it is feared a third wave may result from home owners inspired by television programs to perform DIY renovations who may not be aware of the dangers involved.

Tighe says popular renovation programs have professionals who come in and remove asbestos prior to work being started, but this was rarely publicised.

“Instead, what you see is a punter on TV with a sledgehammer,” he said.

Asbestos was banned from all building products throughout Australia in 1989.

Embed
FavoriteLoadingsave article

Comments

 characters available
*Please refer to our comment policy before submitting
Discussions
1
  1. Brian Sketcher

    Importation of asbestos was not stopped till 2003, even now think of the Cherry & Great wall car problems which were still imported with asbestos in them and there are stupid crystal healing shops even now still selling asbestos rock as alternative healing crystals for lung problems & MS.
    Renovation shows need to be given some sort of incentive to show how their sites are really prepared before the contestants arrive. Note that the "Blocktogon" has few doors ….wonder why? were they all asbestos firedoors? They should have been given the age of the building and that it was a multi storey hotel. We won't find that out and these type of specialist building fire control items were still being brought into the country till 2003.